Top 5 Pacific Northwest Films
A couple weeks ago, Filmspotting, a movie review podcast and forum, spent an episode discussing the latest film from Oregon director Kelly Reichardt, NIGHT MOVES. Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning, and Peter Sarsgaard star as three radical environmentalists who come together to blow up a hydroelectric dam in symbolic protest of society’s excessive consumerism.
The Filmspotting discussion explored the way in which the Pacific Northwest landscape is used to accentuate the suspense, mystery, and tension. This examination of the PNW’s unique look and character led to a broader discussion of the best films from the region. Below you will find the top 5 Pacific Northwest films as chosen by Filmspotting co-hosts Adam Kempenaar and Josh Larsen.
Hop out to your neighborhood video rental store and weigh in on their picks. What would your top 5 PNW films include? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook!
1. Bob Rafelson's Five Easy Pieces
2. Gus Van Sant's Drugstore Cowboy
3. Cameron Crowe'sSingles
4. Kelly Reichard's Meek's Cutoff
5. Lynn Shelton's Humpday
1. Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller
2. Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park
3. Ted Kotcheff's First Blood
4. Aaron Katz's Cold Weather
5. Richard Donner's The Goonies