Recipes/Russian Tea Cakes
Cook's Note: Confectioners' sugar and cake flour makes these a favorite, for the holidays or any time. They are a delicate, melt-in-your-mouth delight.
makes about 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour, or sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped or ground nuts, such as pecans or walnuts
Mix butter with sugar until creamy. Add extract, flour and nuts; mix well and form into a ball. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes, until easy to handle. Form dough into 1-inch balls or crescent shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, until light brown at the edges. While cookies are still warm, roll in confectioners' sugar. Roll again when cooled for a good coating. These keep well.