Recipes/Rhubarb Surprise Crisp
Presented by: Rebecca Drewes, Vashon, Washington.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons of corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb, thawed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together granulated sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. For fresh rhubarb, use 2 teaspoons cornstarch, for frozen rhubarb, use 3 teaspoons. Stir in rhubarb, strawberries, and slivered basil. Transfer fruit mixture to a 2-quart baking dish (10-inch pie plate or an 8-inch square pan; spread evenly. Set aside. For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle topping evenly onto fruit mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until fruit is tender and topping is golden brown. If desired, garnish each serving with a sprig of basil. Serve warm.