Recipes/Legendary Nanaimo Bars
Presented by: Joyce Hardcastle
Ingredients for Bottom Layer
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup coconut
Ingredients for Middle Layer
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 teaspoons cream
- 2 tablespoons Bird’s vanilla custard powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
Ingredients for Top Layer
- 4 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For bottom layer, melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8-inch square pan.
For middle layer, cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
For top layer, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.