Recipes/Four Cheese Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups large elbow noodles cooked, cooled
- 1 Slice of bacon, diced
- 1 Tablespoon green peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped onion or shallot
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/3-1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (equal parts Gruyere, Fontina, and extra sharp white cheddar, or your choice)
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan for sprinkling on top
Render diced bacon in 12 inch skillet, add onions/shallot and caramelize. Drop in butter and add flour to create a roux. Add peas, salt and pepper.
Mix together over medium heat. Add milk and cheese. Add in pasta and stir together until mixture thickens.
Top with Panko and Parmesan. Place under broiler until bread crumbs are crisp.
Per Serving: 504 calories, 30g Fat (54% calories from fat), 26g Protein, 31g Carbohydrates, 94mg Cholesterol, 772mg Sodium, 1.5gm Dietary Fiber
- Use whole wheat pasta to increase fiber.
- Use a small amount of canola or olive oil instead of bacon to caramelize onions/shallots (will change flavor). This will not decrease fat/calorie content significantly, but would provide healthier type of fat.
- Use nonfat milk, fat free milk, half & half, or fat free evaporated milk. This will decrease caloric, fat & cholesterol content.
- Use 1/2 cup of cheese combination as listed above, & 1/2 cup of low-fat mozzarella or cheddar cheese. This will reduce caloric, fat & cholesterol content.