Recipes/Eggplants Cooked Like Mushrooms
Presented by: Benita Bowen, Bellingham
Cook's Note: My vegan friends love this dish!
- 3 31/2 pound eggplants
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or one 141/2 ounce can good diced tomatoes
- 6-8 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 2-3 sprigs each flat Italian parsley and basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Trim and peel the eggplants; slice thinly and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Sprinkle liberally with salt and leave in a colander to drain off their bitter liquid. Wipe dry.
Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok, add the eggplants and saute over high heat for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives and capers. Lower the heat and continue cooking for about 15 minutes or until the eggplants are soft. Add the herbs and garlic, taste for salt and pepper and stir gently. May be served along or as a topping for penne rigate, topped with freshly grated Parmesan.