Recipes/Corn, Black Bean & Shrimp Salad
Presented by: Angie Battle, Seattle
Cook's Note: For an extra treat, I like to skewer the shrimp and grill it after I grill the fresh corncobs. I grill the whole cob, lightly coated with olive oil. Turn every 30 seconds for about 2 minutes. This is such a refreshingly delicious, healthy, easy main course salad -- why bother heating up the kitchen?
For everyday inspiration in the kitchen, sign up for our bi-monthly e-zine, where you'll find delicious recipes, events, and special program information!
serves 2 to 4
- 2 cups cooked corn, cut from the cob (can substitute frozen)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 pound (26/30 count) shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or less, to taste)
- pepper to taste
Heat olive oil on high in a sauté pan. Sauté the shrimp quickly until pink, about 2 minutes, turning halfway through.
Place black beans in a salad bowl. Cut grilled corn off the cob; transfer to the salad bowl. Add cut tomatoes and toss lightly. Add avocado and warm shrimp and toss again.
Add cilantro to salad mixture; add lime juice and zest, olive oil and garlic salt. Toss to blend and add pepper to taste.