Recipes/Chicken in Sour Cherry Sauce
Presented by: Chef Shelby Sewell, Foodz Catering & Acalia Events, Seattle
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries, chopped if large
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Soak the cherries in hot water to soften. Sauté the sweet onion in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent. Add the cinnamon and paprika and stir 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and reduce to 3/4 cup. Add the red wine and reduce to 1½ cups. Add cherries. Turn off heat and stir in the sour cream (it won’t curdle off the heat). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Saute the chicken breasts in the remaining butter until golden brown. Add the finished sauce.