Paula Nemzek for KCTS 9 Cooks
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks: Chef's Kitchen
makes 20 to 24 pinwheels
Cook's Note: These substantial rolls are perfect for buffets or game day treats. They'd also be good with an egg dish for brunch. Do the chopping the night before and they'll come together in minutes. We use a locally-made vegan puff pastry.
- 1 17-ounce package frozen puff pastry
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives, drained
- 1 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup chopped jarred red peppers, drained
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Arrange 1 sheet of pastry on a cutting board and spread with half the cream cheese. Layer with half the feta, half the olives, half the artichoke hearts, half the red peppers, half the spinach and half the Swiss, leaving a bit of room around the edges. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Roll pastry tightly, then cut the roll into 10 to 12 pieces. Arrange rolls 1 inch apart on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet and filling ingredients.
Bake pinwheels for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Great served right away or later at room temperature.