Chef Ned Walsh of 901 Pasta, Yakima, WA.
Episode: 901 Pasta
- 1T olive oil
- 1T butter
- 8pc celery (cut on a diagonal, 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 long to create about 1/4 cup)
- 10pc chicken breast (about 4 oz of breast cut large about 1 inch cubes)
- 5-6 pc red onion, strips 1/4 inch (approx 2T)
- 2T green onion, 1/4 sliced, green and white parts (about 1 green onion)
- 5-6 pc green bell pepper strips, 3/8 inch slice by about 2 1/2 inches (about 1/4 C)
- 2t garlic, minced
- 1T parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5-6 pc Roma tomato, 1/4 inch sliced, seeded (about 1/2 Roma)
- 1T Cajun fire spice blend (recipe follows)
- 1/3C heavy cream
- 6 oz Linguini (cooked weight)
Cajun Spice Blend
- 2 t of a 901 Pasta house blend of herbs and spices with a pinch of salt
- (A retail brand of Cajun Spice blend may be substituted for the dry spice portion.)
- 2 t salad oil
- 1/2 t Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco Sauce.
Cajun Spice Blend Preparation
Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir to blend.
In a 7-inch sauté pan, cook the celery and chicken in the butter and oil for about 1 minute.Add the onions, peppers, garlic, and parsley and continue to sauté until vegetables are tender and chicken is just done. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the spice blend and toss to coat.
Add the cream and the tomatoes. Swirl and simmer for about 2 minutes. The sauce should thicken to a nappy consistency and the tomatoes will remain firm.
Add the cooked pasta to the pan. Toss to coat. If the pasta dish is a bit dry, add more cream to the desired consistency allowing this added cream to heat up and take on the flavors of the sauce.