Margaret Peters, Bremerton, Washington
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks: Just Desserts
Tart plums and the added spice of candied ginger make this an outstanding dessert. Substitute regular flour and you'll still get a nice crunchy crust.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 11/2 tablespoon gluten-free flour mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 12 large Italian prune plums, or mix of plums, sliced (enough to fill pan)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Position oven rack in center, and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together the brown sugar, 11/2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground ginger, and candied ginger. Add to plums and mix well. Arrange plum mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. For the topping, combine sugar, baking powder, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Stir in egg. Using your hands or a granny fork, mix thoroughly to produce a small crumb size. Sprinkle over plums. Drizzle butter evenly over crumb mixture and bake the crumble for 30 to 35 minutes, until top is browned and plums are bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.