Sandy Olson, Richland
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks on the Side
Cook's Note: The savory sweetness of this side dish is delicious with BBQ salmon!
- 1 package your favorite honey cornbread mix
- 3/4 cup grated pepper jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary needles
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A day ahead, prepare cornbread in an 8-inch square pan according to package directions. Add 1/2 cup grated cheese in just before wet ingredients are added to the dry ingredients. Cool and cut enough of the cornbread into 1-inch cubes to total 2 2/3 cups. You will have extra cornbread.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square pan. Place cornbread cubes over the bottom and set aside.
Heat butter in a sauté pan over low heat and gently cook the onions until soft and caramelized to a golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and sprinkle onions, cheese, and herbs over the bread cubes.
Whisk together the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl and pour over the cornbread cubes. Let sit for 10 minutes, then bake 40 minutes, until golden and set. Serve hot. This dish may be made a day ahead and reheated, covered, until warmed through.