Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks: Kitchen Classics
The broiled topping takes the cake in this delicious dessert.
serves 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
Coconut Crunch Topping
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 3-5 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually beat into the creamed mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Stir in vanilla and bananas; mix until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake before adding the topping.
For the topping, turn the oven to broil, and place rack just above center, not directly under broiler. Beat together the melted butter and brown sugar. Stir in pecans, coconut and enough half-and-half to get a nice creamy consistency. Spread topping over the cooled cake and heat under broiler until bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes.