Cascade Public Media (“CPM”) is a multi-platform public media organization that includes KCTS 9/KCTS9.org, Crosscut.com and What’s Good 206. Located in the heart of Seattle on the historic Seattle Center campus, CPM exists to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve by providing meaningful programming on air, online and in the community that inspires a smarter world.
Qualified candidates apply here.
We are seeking editorial interns for Summer of 2017 to join our Crosscut.com team. These are paid internship positions, 15–20 hours per week, for three months starting in the Summer (July 2017). Interns are paid a stipend of $1,500.00 per quarter (paid out as $500.00 per month). CPM office hours are Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. CPM is located at 401 Mercer Street, Seattle, WA 98109.
Crosscut.com is seeking interns to become an integral part of Crosscut’s editorial team. Interns will work directly with Crosscut writers and editors to research and produce stories and social media posts, edit photos and curate reader and local news content. We place a premium on giving interns the opportunity to write and publish high-quality stories on Crosscut as well as doing short daily news items and aggregation. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team of cutting edge and entrepreneurial, yet well-respected local journalists.
The core objective of the Crosscut internship is to provide real-world professional experiences that will prepare students to work effectively in the workforce upon graduation and help them make more informed career choices. The program presents robust content producing and publishing opportunities to expand their professional portfolio. Interns will also:
1. Gain relevant career experience working within a professional newsroom environment along with two public media outlets, KCTS 9 and What’s Good 206, giving them access to experienced public media professionals who will provide additional mentorship;
2. Learn how to write news and feature-style articles of professional quality, doing the work start to finish (including story development and planning, research, interviewing, writing and working with editors on the final version.);
3. Story publication on a digital platform, photo selection and opportunities for taking photos.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Write three to five feature and news stories to be published on Crosscut.com. Crosscut editors will provide mentorship and support to the interns through the entire process;
2. Write short items on daily news.
3. Aggregate daily or national news in a short, readable style for posting on Crosscut.
1. High School diploma or GED
2. Current enrollment at an institution of higher learning, such as college, community college or vocational school
3. Current enrollment in a program that leads to a degree; certificate or high school diploma programs are not eligible.
4. Minimum 2.5 GPA. Transcripts to be provided prior to start of internship.
5. Receiving school credit for this internship is strongly preferred
6. Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
7. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
8. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
9. Interest in journalism, communications, public television, & multimedia
10. Customer service experience a plus
11. Experience with digital media/storytelling, a plus
To be eligible for a CPM Internship, students must meet the following minimum requirements (along with position specific requirements):
1. Current enrollment in a course of study at an institution of higher learning, such as college, community college or vocational school
2. Current enrollment in a program that leads to a degree; certificate or diploma programs are not eligible
3. Possess a minimum GPA of 2.5 for Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
4. Receiving school credit for the internship is strongly preferred
Cascade Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation