Washington Beef Tenderloin
Presented by: Chef Johnny Wion | Second Street Grill, Yakima
- 1 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 20 black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp brandy
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade (not too bitter)
- handful of blue cheese
- 1/4 cup dried Rainier cherries
- 1 Tbsp Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Combine oil, peppercorns, garlic, sage, basil, and 1/4 cup of orange marmalade and marinate beef for 12-24 hours.
Remove meat from marinade, save marinade. Use a knife to slice a slit along the top of each piece of beef. Season meat with salt, white pepper, paprika, and ground ginger. Stuff the meat with cheese and cherries.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In greased oven pan on high heat, sear the meat on all sides then place in the oven. For tender meat, cook medium-rare or medium, about 20-30 minutes. Baste every 7-8 minutes, but do not baste for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Combine orange juice, fresh ginger, remainder of marmalade, beef stock, wine, brandy, and parsley. Puree, reduce, and strain to create a glaze.
Take out of oven and let rest 10 minutes before drizzling with glaze and serving.