Stuffed Acorn Squash
Presented by: Nancy Harvey, Kirkland
- 3 acorn squash
- 1 lb. Jimmy Dean pork sausage
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- dash of ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 box of chicken Stove Top stuffing mix (or any brand of pre-seasoned stuffing)
Microwave each squash for 5 minutes, then cut in half and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on large, buttered baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, for stuffing, in skillet, cook onion and celery in some olive oil. Add pork and cook until meat is cooked and vegetables are tender. Drain off any fat. Stir in garlic, raisins or cranberries, salt, curry powder, and cinnamon. Stir in applesauce and stuffing mix. Add enough applesauce so that mixture is moist, not too dry.
Once baked, remove squash from oven and turn cut side up in dish. Spoon stuffing mixture into squash halves and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.