Recipes/Risotto with Turkey
Presented by: Susan Williams, Seattle
Cook's Note: Dad’s favorite for the day after Thanksgiving.
- 2 cups Italian (short grain) rice
- 5 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups turkey giblets and meat
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried mushrooms, reconstituted and chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter and olive oil (half-and-half mixture)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy-bottomed 8-quart pan, heat butter/olive oil. Sauté onions; add celery and rice. Heat until rice is well coated. Add broth and turkey meat 1 cup at a time; add salt, pepper and mushrooms. Stir constantly, adding more broth as rice cooks. When rice is cooked and all broth has been added, take off of the stove heat and add cheese. Let set for a couple of minutes before serving. Mom added peas and fresh parsley if available.