Mashed Potato Fudge
Presented by: Stephanie Hagarty-Moening, from Snohomish
Cook's Notes: Last year I was looking for creative recipes to enter at the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, in the Baking department. I found a potato fudge recipe online and jazzed it up a bit for competition. I did win a blue ribbon and a merit award with this recipe at the Evergreen State Fair, 2000.
Makes 64 one-inch squares of fudge
- 1/2 cup cooked potatoes, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoons soft, unsalted butter
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 3 squares cooking chocolate, softened and melted
- 1 teaspoon Irish cream liqueur (or vanilla extract if you prefer nonalcoholic)
- dash of salt
Put mashed potatoes into a mixing bowl. Add soft butter and mix. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix well. Add the Irish cream or vanilla and a dash of salt to melted chocolate. Stir. Combine the chocolate mixture with the potato mixture and combine well. Press mixture into an 8-inch square pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours. Remove from refrigerator and invert on a clean cutting board. Cut into squares.