serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds garden-ripe tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 3-4 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- finely ground sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
On a large platter overlap and alternate tomatoes, mozzarella slices and basil leaves (if desired, julienne the leaves).
Drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar.
Season lightly with salt and pepper and serve.
Note: In addition to perfectly ripe tomatoes, a good mozzarella is key. Try to find buffalo mozzarella, which has the best flavor and texture for this salad.