Recipes/Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Presented by: Paula Nemzek
No need to frost this sweet treat – the top is studded with chocolate chips!
serves 10 to 12
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the oil, eggs and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in the zucchini. Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan.
Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Note: Make your own sour milk (buttermilk equivalent) by adding 1/2 tablespoon vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and letting it sit for 15 minutes.