Chicken In Fennel & Poppy Seed Sauce
Presented by: Kanta Ramanjooloo, Surrey
Cook's Note: This is a favourite recipe with my family and friends. I am glad to share it with you and your viewers.
Ingredients for Lemon Rice With Cilantro
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- rind 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Ingredients for Chicken and Poppy Seed Sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground white poppy seeds (I roast mine a bit)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Wash the rice well and drain. Put the rice in a microwaveable deep dish. Add the chicken stock, water, lemon rind and salt. Let the rice soak for about 20 minutes. Microwave the rice uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir well, and continue cooking for another 20 minutes at 50% power or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the microwave oven, cover and set aside. In a measuring cup, mix together the melted clarified butter, lemon juice and the chopped cilantro.
Drizzle over the cooked rice and fluff with a fork. Serve warm.
In a saucepan, sauté the diced onion in the clarified butter until slightly browned. Add the chicken pieces, salt, the ground cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the meat turns opaque. Add the chicken stock and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until the meat is cooked and the sauce has thickened, 15 minutes approximately. Serve warm with Lemon Rice or French baguette.