Recipes/Asparagus and Mushrooms
Presented by: Chef Laurie Kennedy
- 1 bunch asparagus, rinsed and chop 2 inches off ends
- 12 oil-cured olives, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Cider vinegar
- 2 dozen Shittake/Morels, cleaned and split lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Thyme leaves
- 2 Fennel bulb, remove core and slice thin half moons
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss mushrooms and fennel in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, and thyme. Place on cookie sheet and put in oven and roast for 10 to 12 minutes.
Pull out of oven and toss together in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice to season. Divide between 4 plates. Place in a 150 degree oven to keep warm.
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and turn down to medium heat. Pour in cider vinegar and carefully crack each egg into water. Let cook for 10 minutes until whites are set and yolks are still soft. Lift each egg out with a slotted spoon and set on top of each mound of fennel and mushrooms.
Toss asparagus in a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on cookie sheet and roast for 10 to 12 minutes. Check that asparagus is just tender, then remove. Be careful not to overcook. Divide evenly between 4 plates. Shave Parmesan over top and sprinkle with olives.