Amaretto German Chocolate Cake Truffles
Ingredients for Amaretto German Chocolate Cake Truffles
- 1 (18.25 oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (16 oz.) container milk chocolate ready-to-spread frosting
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 cup toasted, finely chopped pecans
- 4 Tablespoons amaretto (optional)
Ingredients for Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups butter
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preparation for Truffles
Prepare and bake cake mix in a 13 X 9 inch pan. Cool completely in pan.
Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add Frosting by spoonfuls over cake crumbs. Sprinkle the coconut, pecans, and amaretto over crumbs and stir gently just until thoroughly blended. Roll into 1 ½ balls and place on wax paper lined baking sheets. Cover and chill 1 hour or place in freezer for 30 minutes.
Makes about 2 ½ dozen truffles.
Preparation for Coconut Pecan Frosting
Cook evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy 3 qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly for 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture becomes a light caramel color, is bubbling and reaches a pudding-like thickness.
Remove pan from heat and stir in coconut and pecans and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally until completely cooled.
Remove cake balls and frosting from fridge. Spread and roll balls in frosting to cover and place in individual baking cups or platter and chill until serving. Makes about 4 cups of frosting.