About KCTS 9
KCTS 9's mission is to inspire a smarter world.
KCTS 9 first went on the air on Dec. 7, 1954, broadcasting from the campus of the University of Washington and using equipment donated by KING-TV owner Dorothy Bullitt.
During the 1950s and 1960s, KCTS 9 primarily supplied classroom instructional programs used in Washington State's K–12 schools, plus National Educational Television programs. Outside of schoolrooms, KCTS 9's audience among the general public was somewhat limited, and most programming was in black-and-white until the mid-70s.
In 1970, National Educational Television was absorbed into the newly created Public Broadcasting Service. Under PBS affiliation, KCTS 9 began offering a vastly enhanced scope of programming for the general public, including British programming.
KCTS 9 moved to its present location on the Seattle Center campus in 1986. KCTS 9 became independent of the University of Washington in 1987.
KCTS 9 is seen throughout southwestern British Columbia on local cable systems, as well as across Canada on the Bell TV and Shaw Direct satellite providers, as well as on many other Canadian cable TV systems. KCTS 9 receives substantial financial support from its far-flung Canadian audience as well as from viewers in Washington State.
Since 1994, KCTS 9 has also operated Yakima's PBS station, which has served central Washington since Nov. 1, 1962.