Preventing Childhood Obesity
How can we create a healthier environment for children, when one in five children is considered overweight? Learn about what you can do to prevent health risks from developing and discuss strategies to support healthy choices for children's growing bodies.
Sample Themes and Tips from this Workshop
- Let children help prepare what they eat.
- Encourage, but don't force children to try new foods.
- Model healthy eating.
- Serve age-appropriate portions.
- Offer children the chance to be physically active for at least one hour each day.
- Limit screen time (TV, video, and computer) and offer active, fun play alternatives.
- Avoid eating in front of the TV.