Intern - Marketing and Communications
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter, resume and 2 writing samples to:internships@KCTS9.org (please write Marcom Intern in your subject line and cover letter)
This is an unpaid intern position, approximately 10-20 hours per week.Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. We are flexible on the days of the week and the times of the shifts. End date is also flexible but we require a minimum time commitment of 3 months. We are located at 401 Mercer Street, Seattle, WA 98109.
KCTS 9 is the largest public television station in the Pacific Northwest, reaching over 2 million viewers weekly in Washington and British Columbia. Located in the heart of Seattle at Seattle Center, KCTS 9 improves the quality of life in the communities we serve by providing meaningful programming on air, online and in the community that informs, involves and inspires.
This is an ideal position for a Marketing, Communications or Public Relations major interested in television, in building his or her portfolio of writing samples, and interested in social media.
Duties and Responsibilities may include:
1. Draft promotional copy for multiple platforms including web, email, radio, TV and print
2. Draft social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and other sites
3. Write press materials such as fact sheets, backgrounders, and releases
4. Work cross-departmentally with Interactive team as directed to post material online
5. Participate in the cultivation of community partnerships
6. Participate as part of the Marcom team to brainstorm and develop creative promotion and marketing plans
7. Assist with other press relations projects such as tracking and reporting editorial coverage, researching press contacts and making story pitches
8. Assist with project and event production
1. High School diploma or GED
2. Current enrollment in a course of study at an institution of higher learning, such as college, community college or vocational school
3. Experience with Microsoft Office
4. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
5. Interest in public television, community engagement, event coordination, and/or media
6. Proficiency in conducting internet research
7. Proficiency in using social media sites
8. Attention to detail and good organizational skills
9. Basic HTML knowledge preferred
9. Valid Driver’s License preferred