Intern - Community Engagement & Education
We are seeking spring and summer 2013 interns. (Internships January through March 2013 are no longer available).
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please write Community Engagement Intern in your subject line and cover letter)
This is an unpaid intern position, approximately 10-24 hours per week. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. We are flexible on the days of the week and the times of the shifts. There are occasional evening and weekend shifts surrounding some outreach events. End date is also flexible but we require a minimum time commitment of 3 months, preferably 6 months. We are located at 401 Mercer Street, Seattle, WA 98109 and online at http://KCTS9.org
KCTS 9 is the largest public television station in the Pacific Northwest, reaching over 2 million viewers weekly in Washington and British Columbia. Located in the heart of Seattle at Seattle Center, KCTS 9 improves the quality of life in the communities we serve by providing meaningful programming on air, online and in the community that informs, involves and inspires.
KCTS 9's Community Engagement & Education department extends the impact of public broadcasting through a variety of media services, educational materials and collaborative activities designed to engage individuals and foster community by addressing issues of concern.
Provide support for KCTS 9's community Engagement & Education initiatives, including but not limited to 9 Media Lab, PBS LearningMedia, events, and station initiative projects
Intern will learn how public television programming serves as a catalyst for community problem solving and change. Intern will receive experience in event coordination, facilitation/public speaking, database organization, writing, and day to day office operations. Student will also have an opportunity to work in a highly creative environment in one of the industry's leading PBS stations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with coordinating and facilitating community events
- Communicate with community partners
- Contribute writing to website and newsletters
- Maintain database and coordinate mailings
- Organize and support efforts around KCTS 9 Kids & Family workshops
- Maintain inventory of PBS outreach materials
- Proofread submitted materials for department as needed
- With relevant experience, responsibilities may also include creation of developmentally appropriate educational materials and activities
- High School diploma or GED required
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills required
- Interest in public television, community engagement, event coordination, and/or education required
- Customer service experience preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Experience with digital media/storytelling, a plus
A passion for the mission of public broadcasting is preferred!