Qualified candidates please apply online at: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=12515921
Purpose: Produce and assist in the production of video content within the EarthFix Local Journalism Center
Reports to: Executive Producer of Public Affairs
Supervised by: EarthFix Video Managing Editor
Status: This position is for a fixed time frame. It is a grant-funded 18 month position with no guarantees of a regular position at the end of its term.
Salary: $1,822.92 per pay period ($43,750.00 annual equivalent)
Scope of Position
KCTS 9 and EarthFix are looking for an Associate Producer to help produce high-quality broadcast, online, and mobile videos on environmental issues of the Pacific Northwest. EarthFix is a collaboration of public television and radio stations in Oregon, Idaho and Washington. This person will be involved in pre-production, production and post-production tasks, including researching and developing story ideas; finding sources; arranging and conducting interviews; transcribing interviews; obtaining B-roll; curating and updating online video content; video shooting; and editing. This role requires a versatile skillset and a solid foundation in journalistic principles and ethics. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a problem-solving, can-do attitude; the ability to juggle responsibilities and adapt quickly; a willingness to keep up with the latest tools; and the desire to work collaboratively. The ideal candidate has an understanding of what makes a strong story and has the ability to gather material to help bring that story to life.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with the EarthFix Video Managing Editor to produce a consistently high-quality stream of both short- and magazine-style news feature video content on the topic of the environment of the Pacific Northwest
2. Research and develop quick-turn and enterprising story ideas related to environment topics such as science, energy, climate change and sustainability
3. Assist in pre-production planning which includes finding and vetting potential sources and arranging logistics for shoots
4. Assist in post-production responsibilities such as transcribing, writing scripts, editing and publishing finished videos.
5. Assist in distributing EarthFix videos to member stations
6. Assist with archiving video content for future use
7. Frequent local, in-state and occasional out-of-state travel is necessary.
8. Maintain a social media presence and regularly share EarthFix content.
9. On occasion serve as lead camera or b-camera photographer for field shoots
10. On occasion serve as a field producer conducting video interviews
11. Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field or equivalent experience required
2. Three years’ experience producing broadcast and/or multimedia content in a deadline-oriented news environment
3. Ability to produce journalistic stories with text, video, and still photography
4. Experience using social media tools in a journalistic environment
5. Demonstrated ability to produce broadcast-quality video preferred
6. Demonstrated ability to use nonlinear editing software such as Abobe Premiere Pro preferred
7. Experience with DSLR camera equipment for video storytelling preferred
8. Knowledge of environmental issues in the Northwest preferred
9. Knowledge of AP style, understanding of SEO principles and strong writing ability, particularly for headlines and summaries preferred
10. Must have, or be able to obtain, a valid Washington State driver license
11. Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed
12. Ability to travel frequently (locally, in-state and occasional out-of-state)